Tomsk Polytechnic University has a long history of training engineers in petroleum industry and related areas. The following program has absorbed knowledge and experience of this collaboration and provides students with skills necessary for working in the development of oil and gas fields and construction of petroleum facilities, meeting the requirements of modern high-tech production. Along with engineering and construction activity, they will be able to carry out management of design and production and technological activities in the mentioned areas and engage in organizational activities in interdisciplinary areas of the petroleum industry. The obtained knowledge will be enough to conduct research and analytical activities at both independent research centers and analytical department of petroleum companies.
The following program was developed in the framework of a specialization – Petroleum Industry. Along with the Master program - Reliability of Gas Pipelines and Storage Facilities, it includes:
- Construction of Oil and Gas Fields
- Development and Operation of Oil and Gas Fields
- Machines and Equipment in Petroleum Industry
- Petroleum Engineering (the second academic year is carried out in the English language under the network collaboration with Heriot-Watt University)
The student will be able to use the university facility, including laboratories and research centers, advanced computer classes with appropriate software (Petrel, ECLIPSE, PIPESIM, Drilling Office, PanSystem, WellFlo, Ecrin, and others), 3D visualization room, databases with information about geophysical studies of wells, reservoir properties, and others.
The program was designed to equip students with necessary skills, allowing them to:
- apply advanced knowledge in the theory of process equipment reliability, taking into account dynamic, hydromechanical and thermodynamic processes during its operation
- apply modern computer tools for group and individual design of gas and oil pipelines and storage facilities using geo-information technologies
- conduct non-standard calculations to optimize technological modes of oil and gas transportation, taking into account the operating parameters of equipment of gas and oil pipelines and storage facilities
- apply methods of modeling complex hydrodynamic processes to choose optimal technological regimes for pumping oil and gas and parameters of the pipeline taking into account the route profile
- prepare the necessary engineering and business documentation in Russian and English