The University resource efficiency program (2013-2018) is a fundamental document, approved by TPU Academic Council. It was designed to create a systematic approach and culture of resource efficiency in scientific, educational and social areas of the world-class university, focused on HR and technology development for a resource efficient economy.
The present program is a response to a number of global challenges, the world community face with:
- Climate Change
- Population Aging and Health Issues
- Global Food Security Issue
- Terrorism and a Threat of Nuclear Disaster
- Environmental pollution
The new approach is based on the concept of resource efficiency in the broad sense of this word, allowing creating common mechanisms to counter the above-mentioned challenges. TPU understands its role in coping these challenges and it will do its best to contribute to their solution.
Major Areas of the University Development
According to the TPU Development Program as a research university, the university team will develop the following competencies:
- Efficient use of natural resources and their deep processing;
- Traditional and atomic energy, alternative energy production technologies;
- Nanotechnologies and beam-plasma technologies for creating materials with desired properties;
- Smart information and telecommunication monitoring and management systems;
- Non-destructive testing and diagnostics in industrial and social fields.
The program main goal is the development of the Resource Efficiency Program is the development of provision of an integrated resource-efficient approach to the implementation of the university development strategy as an international research university.
The program was designed based on experts' forecasts on the state and reserves of basic resources and expected structural changes in industrial, scientific, educational and cultural fields.
Analysis of conditions and factors, which have a significant effect on higher education, and public examination of the program's draft allowed developing the present main major activities (2013-2018):
- Ensure an innovative breakthrough in training for a resource-efficient economy;
- Development of an infrastructure of research activities, providing wide opportunities for designing and commercialization of resource-efficient technologies within the framework of the TPU priority growth areas;
- Cultivating a culture of resource efficiency among the university staff and students;
- Positioning TPU in the group of TOP international universities, including in the use of green approaches and technologies in the process of training;
- Development of a comfortable social and cultural environment and conditions for personal development at the University.
The implementation of the mentioned goal and tasks includes the following key indicators:
- 90% - the share of resource-efficient developments among all fundamental and applied research conducted at the university;
- 2000 articles and publications dedicated to resource efficiency in indexed national and international scientific journals;
- 3 – double degree Master degree programs related to resource-efficiency;
- 18% drop of the university energy costs by 2018 (in comparison with 2012);
- The university testing ground of resource-efficient technologies;
- 10% - the share of alternative energy sources, using by Tomsk Polytechnic University.
The program is designed on the principles of a balanced scorecard and includes seven blocks of strategic development objectives:
- Development of HR;
- Improving the university management system;
- Infrastructure and campus;
- TPU positioning;
- Social development.